Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Beijing, you're so polluted, you make me mad.

The moment I step outside, I feel like I'm being pelted by debris. It's in my eyes, up my nose, in the back of my throat. And it feels gritty and dirty. Now I completely understand why old Chinese men are constantly hocking up loogies onto the street. They're EATING the pollution! I don't know how anyone has clear skin here. I'm constantly breaking out. Not pretty. It's so smoky and dusty all the time, I feel like I'm inhaling smoke all the time.

So the Chinese government recently issued a ban on smoking. Beginning May 1st, no more smoking in... SCHOOLS and HOSPITALS! Are you kidding me?! You mean it was actually okay to smoke in schools and hospitals prior to this ban?! They initially wanted to ban smoking in restaurants and bars too, but the business owners got pissy. I guess it's a step in the right direction at least.

And now that it's spring, add pollen and mysterious white puffs (from trees that aren't close enough to be seen), and it's hell for every orifice on my face. I might have to start wearing goggles around outside. And my face feels so gross from the sweat and the heat, and it's not even humid yet. Lovely. I can't wait for summer.

Remember to cut me some slack if next time you see me, my face is covered in pocks and flecks (actual phrasing on Chinese acne medication).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

At first when you are like, are you kidding me, I was like, Wendy, you REALLY want them to be smoking in hospitals and schools? haha. then i continued reading.

I am so sick of the smoking culture here in México. And its not that they do or do not ban it but that everyone here smokes. I go to my internship and everyone is smoking except for me! bleh.

But Guadalajara is not as bad as México City, when I came back here after spring break, I was like GDL seems so clean in comparison, I can breathe. Haha.